Sermon Notes “Pick of the Litter” 1/31/21 Ephesians 1:4-6
The power of ‘choice’ Ephesians 1:4
-Choice: affirms, builds confidence, significance, and value
The ‘context’ Ephesians 1:3
– “…every spiritual blessing”
– “…in the heavens” (heavenlies) – “in Christ”
The “spiritual blessings” Ephesians 1:3
1- The ________________ of God 1:4
a) Demonstrated in God’s ‘choosing’ Ephesians 1:4, John 15:16a, Psalm 139:15, Jeremiah 1:5 & 1 Corinthians 1:28
b) Demonstrated in God’s ‘determining’ Ephesians 1:5, Acts 17:26
*The mystery and the revealed Ephesians 1:9, Deuteronomy 29:29
2- The final result is _____________________ Ephesians 1:6, 1 Corinthians 8:1b
The only conclusion
The Bottom Line Question. How do I know if I’m ‘chosen’ or ‘predestined?’
————— Referenced ————–
“Hand In Hand, The Beauty of God’s Sovereignty and Meaningful Human Choice” by Randy Alcorn
“Exalting Jesus In Ephesians” (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary) by Tony Merida & David Platt
Life Grp Q’s Pick of the Litter 1/31/21 Ephesians: God Made Visible – Wk 3
Describe a moment when you felt most moved to praise God (i.e. sight of creation, birth of a child, salvation, etc.)
• How was your prayer life different this past week as you sought to begin your prayers blessing God? What did you experience, learn, etc.?
• See if your group is ready to recite & video Eph 1:3 together. Then post on FB or IG using #nbccBibleBinge
• What stood out to you from this week’s sermon? Anything challenging, unclear, or particularly helpful to you?
Going Deeper: Read Ephesians 1:4-6 together
• How have you experienced division or damage over the differing views of handling the doctrine of predestination “vs” choice?
• According to verse 4 & 5, what did God choose and predestine us to? Why is this emphasis important? (B) How do these verses encourage us to continue growing in our faith rather than focusing on our initial salvation alone?
• Read Romans 8:28-30; Romans 9:14-16; John 6:44-45; Prov. 16:9. Then read Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Josh 24:15, Matt 23:37; Acts 17:27. Discuss how these verses interact with each other.
• Read Ephesians 1:6 – Why is this verse critical in this discussion?
• Whatever your view of election, predestination, free-will is, explain how it moves you to praise God. *Do you see how divisions over this doctrine can distract us from the call to praise God for salvation?
Prayer: Spend time as a Life Group praising God for His salvation, for growth in holiness, and for salvation for the lost people in your life.
• Continue memorizing Ephesians 1:3. *We will begin memorizing a new verse next Sunday, Feb 7th.
• Try to read or listen through this book at least one time before next Sunday.