Notes & Life Group Questions 10-04-20 (PDF)
Notes & Life Group Questions 10-04-20 (WORD)
The family is the most powerful environment to shape an identity.
Going back to go forward
A Theological Framework (Biblical foundation)
1. The blessings and sins of our families have impact lasting for at least three to four generations.
-Romans 5:12 (Adam)
-Exodus 20:5-6 (the 10 Commandments)
-Genesis 12-50 (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob & Joseph)
Other scriptures: Psalm 112:1-2, John 9:1-2, Matthew 27:24-25, Exodus 34:6-7, 2 Samuel 12:10
2. The new process of putting off the sinful patterns of our “Family of Origin” and culture. Ephesians 4:22-24, Romans 12:2
3. Becoming a Christian is being birthed into a new family Matthew 12:46-50
Deciding who we will be
Grandpa in my bones
The real hero of every genealogy Genesis 4:4-29 & Matthew 1
Life Grp Q’s
Who can name or go the furthest back in your family genealogy, by name?
• How did it go this past week as you applied last week’s sermon? What can we celebrate? What can we pray about?
• What stood out to you about this week’s sermon?
Thinking through your family of origin, take a couple of minutes to write comments about how your family dealt with the following:
-Attitudes toward other cultures
-Grief & Loss
-Feelings & emotions
• As you look through your comments above, where do you find differences between what you inherited from your family and what Scripture says?
• What is one area in which you are working (or needing to work) to follow a more biblical approach than what you inherited from your family?
Individual application: What is one step you can take this week to go back in order to go forward?
Prayer: Stop and pray for one another based on your conversation so far.
Read 1 Peter 2:1-5 – As a life group, what role/s can we play in being a part of the new family God has provided for us?
*This Saturday from 9-10:30 am, Pastor James will be leading a workshop to dig deeper into these issues. Highly recommended and a great way for groups to grow together.
Closing Prayer: Is there someone God has placed in your life who is in need of Jesus? What might you share with them from this week’s message? How can we pray for them?
Monday – Thursday:
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
812 Central St SE
Olympia, WA 98501